Tuesday, September 14, 2010

ANGELS IN AMERICA Thoughts -- Graduate Student Harris

We continue our series of posts featuring people's thoughts on the power and impact of Tony Kushner’s Angels in America. Click here and continue checking back for more words from Broadway cast members, our current cast and creative team, Signature’s past Playwrights-in-Residence, and others in the theatre community. We also want to hear from YOU -- click here to find out how you can contribute.

"I became infected with Angels in America.

'My heart is pumping polluted blood. I feel dirty.'

Like an addict looking for a fix, i devoured Tony Kushner's words, underlining them, researching their symbolism, deriving meaning... feeding my soul.

'Dance with me.'

I first came across Angels in 2004... I was in a very different place in life... a lot more naive. It seems that seeds were planted then, and when i decided to read the play this year... I was hooked. BAD.

'Thaddeus, real love isn't ever ambivalent.'

Now, as a poz gay men in his late twenties, I was able to relate to Prior much more. My Atripla induced dreams became drenched with beautiful visions of the angels, mythological fantasies... themes that seeped into my subconsciousness... I LOVED IT.

When i saw that Signature Theater is putting on Angels in America, and that Milton Glaser designed the poster again, I smiled. I can't wait to be in the presence of such divine literature."

–Harris


Harris is a "29-yr-old-refugee-gay-HIV positive-recent-transplant to NYC"

No comments: