Thursday, January 17, 2008

THE PETER NORTON SPACE RAVAGED- TEMPORARILY


Originally Posted by Drew Moerlein August 2, 2007

David Gallo


An unusual sight at the ever-safe and illustrious Peter Norton Space over the last couple of weeks - every door stood at command, propped and gaping, for the quirky, dirty, and always odd shaped props and set pieces to be loaded onto the stage for Iphigenia 2.0. I'm not going to lie, folks - The Peter Norton Space looks like a war zone. Although not altogether inappropriate for the concept of the play, I like to believe that the "rubble" generally stays within the confines of the theatre and the stage, but when you see this set and the actors playing on and in it, you will understand why the whole complex has been ransacked.

The boards are taped together and clinging to the floor of the lobby in a fervent attempt to save the cushy rugs. Boxes, hand-trucks, enough sawdust to cover Texas and then some, tools, paint, and hoards of set pieces and props are scattered all over the building. And these are merely the lifeless additions to the crowded building… The number of interesting and tireless carpenters, painters, designers, electricians, and movers that have essentially bunked-up in the Peter Norton Space is humorous, to say the least. It is quite the sight; I will vouch for that.

I just can't wait to see what will come of all of this clutter… I'm a little in the dark, as are all of you, because I have yet to sit in on a rehearsal in the theatre (I sat in on the first rehearsal in our rehearsal studio), so I don't know what could be next for Signature. Last year, they dug and sat in dirt on stage… Yeah, real dirt…. Yeah, with real shovels… I know… Wow. What's next?! Not to be too cliché, but the possibilities seem endless for the set and the spectacle with all of the materials I have seen moved into the theatre over the last couple of weeks! I can't wait - How about you?!

No comments: